The Porism working environment is designed to give employees the freedom to develop creative solutions for clients, working with the most appropriate tools. Porism gives computer minded people a chance to express their initiative and individuality by lateral thinking through their employment. We seek people who are dedicated and who do not 'clock watch'. However we also expect people to have lives outside the company. We plan so as to avoid the need for people to work excessively beyond normal hours.
We are always on the look-out for good people. For details of current vacancies, please see the Jobs page.
We employ people with skills in the following areas:
- Administration Traditional administration work is minimal because we communicate almost entirely by e-mail rather than by phone or letter. Administration work comprises mostly using the company's own electronic systems. Hence a high degree of computer literacy and a logical mind is needed. Good quality English is essential.
- Analysis We apply formal analysis techniques in so far as they are cost effective for the size of project undertaken. Database and interface design is always needed. Analysis work leads to specifications against which programming and testing work is performed. Knowledge of database design and UML is required.
- Consultancy Porism consultants are responsible for reflecting client requirements in formal documents that can be approved and costed and form the basis for analysis work. Consultants both advise clients how their stated requirements can be met identify new and different ways in which a client may benefit from a system.
- Sales We do not sell aggressively because our business requires confidence from clients that is only built up by reputation and a strong working relationship. Most selling is done by consultants and priority is given to repeat business with existing clients. However, all staff perform a sales role in the way they relate to existing and potential clients. Staff and consultants are encouraged to increase Porism's exposure to potential clients by making them aware of our successes.
- Testing Routine software testing is performed in accordance with company procedures and against specifications. The functional testing of overall systems requires the involvement of consultants to ensure systems meet their objectives. The company uses some testing tools, but seeks to further improve semi-automated testing.
- Management Company management is very lean to keep down costs. Projects are lead by assigned consultants who involve specialist staff from across the company as required.
Typically a member of staff will fulfil two or more of the above roles. Tasks are assigned by area of expertise more than by specific project. All new work is structured in a way that helps accumulate the company's skills base to be applied to future projects.
We are committed to equality of opportunity irrespective of age, sex, sexual orientation, religion or ethnicity, and our staff are chosen according to their skills irrespective of these factors. We do not employ staff or do business with organisations opposed to equal opportunities. We only employ permanent staff (not consultants) except for very short specialist assignments.